Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Flaw

My new found zest for purging my crowded mind into the blogosphere has proven to be quite refreshing. However, sleep deprived as I am these days, I am finding one crippling flaw in this recent creative writing exercise. I now have a new earworm in the form of obsessing over how flawed my writing is. I find that after every new post, I toss and turn in bed dissecting the piece in my thoughts and wondering how, how, how, can I ever have a career as a writer when I succeed in only producing trite little trinkets of indulgent observation. A perfect example is my last entry. How could I have possibly compared Nanny McPhee to Flow? There are so many flaws in that analogy I can't seem to stop thinking about them all. Here are the three big ones:

1. Now that I am fully awake (unlike yesterday, when I had not yet finished my breakfast of sugar-free Rockstar and determination), I remember the correct line from the Mary Poppins spin-off is "There is something you should understand about the way I work. When you need me but do not want me, then I must stay. When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go." I'm not sure if that's the way Flow operates.

2. Nanny McPhee's functions were mystical in nature while Flow can be explained by science. Or can it?

3. I need to stop discussing things I know little to nothing about.

Sigh. On the plus side, I just now was able to come up with the word combo "trite little trinkets" and that just springs so pleasantly from the lips, I feel redeemed somehow.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of sharing your writing with . . . well, the rest of the world. ;-) Sadly, no written work is ever "finished;" it can always be better, no matter how good it is, and it will never cease to haunt you, deprive you of sleep, and revise itself in your mind. On the plus side, good writing--even random musings--can get you on the radar. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Ms. Lane! I knew your wisdom as a writer would give me the boost I need. Hey, wear is the tab to follow your blogs? I could not find! You've hidden them!

    ReplyDelete