Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wanderin'

Day two in London: I slept way too late. HOWEVER, I made up for this mistake by getting lost in the London underground for about 2 hours and having a real adventure. I tell you what, boy howdy, and other countryisms! The best way to really get to know a new city is to take a wrong train (or 3, like I did.) You end up seeing things you wouldn't normally see! Like a man peeing in an alley that says "WOOPSIE!" when you catch him, and graffiti that reads "Sex is not for sale." Interesting.

Before I got lost though, I got cocky. Which is probably why I got lost. I started the day by venturing out with a city map and an Oyster card (a train pass) looking to see the sights. I made my way with great success to Buckhingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Burlington House, Big Ben, and the London Eye. After a frightfully good time at The London Death Trap, I decided to call it a night since it was cold and dark. Cutting through Westminster Abbey, I saw a Japanese girl getting strong-armed by some hustlers. I stood in the shadows ready to play superhero if necessary, but the girl held her own and sent the scumbags packing.

I then made my way to the tube station and promptly got on the wrong train, realized my error and sought to correct it...by getting on another wrong train. After I got on a third wrong train, I tossed pride aside and asked for help. After getting on the right path, my train failed to open its doors at my desired stop, so I had to wait for the next stop and double back. Good times. But you know, I'm really starting to like it here.

Even though this happened!

1 comment:

  1. You are an incredible woman, you are! I have to admit, it kind of got me nervous just reading your post--but you pulled through in perfect Suzy style, as always! I love hearing about your adventures, keep writing sis!

    ReplyDelete