Thursday, February 24, 2011

Earworm, eh?

When I told Mike the Tech about this new blog he has inspired, he recoiled in horror gasping "Earworm? That is horrifying!" So I suppose explanations are in order. An earworm is not a slim, wriggling creature that's making a beeline for your ear so it can ease its way into your brain and eat it. I first heard the term from a German friend of mine. Earworm, or "ohrum" as they say in German, is given to a song that is stuck in the mind.

I am adapting the term for my own use to include anything that's stuck in my mind, not just songs. Since I live in the world of my head far more than the world of reality, the earworms are great in number. I just hope they don't eat any of my lobes.

3 comments:

  1. Did I recoil? I've not known myself to recoil, but if I did I respectfully apologize to the German people and their horrifying conceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you recoiled. Just as you recoiled when I mentioned warming a seat for David with my "tender buttocks" and you begged me never to mention any of my body parts ever again.

    ReplyDelete